Sachin Pilot dares BJP over Food Security Bill
New Delhi: With its ambitious food security plan being labelled as a `populist vote-catching scheme` by the opposition, the government has dared BJP to declare that it was against cheaper food for the poor, claiming that the saffron party was stuck to mandir-masjid as a poll issue.
Asserting that all government schemes are supposed to be for the masses, Union Minister Sachin Pilot also said Indians have moved beyond mandir-masjid issues and even BJP remembers them only before the elections.
"BJP can say what it wants. But let it come out and say that they do not want to give cheaper food to the people. They never say it because they can`t," Pilot said.
The comments come in the midst of opposition criticism that the government brought in an ordinance for Food Security Bill as part of its preparations for the general elections.
BJP leader and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi said yesterday that the Centre was under the impression that merely bringing in the Bill would lead to food reaching the needy.
"It is amazing, how some people are saying that the Right to Food programme is a populist scheme and it is a vote catching scheme measure.
"What scheme of the government is not for the masses of this country? Which scheme is anti-people? There is nothing wrong if we want to give people good highways, good roads, good ports, good education, good food and good electricity," the Corporate Affairs Minister told PTI in an interview here.
"If we are giving cheaper food to poor people, why is it bothering anybody? I challenge any political party to come and say that this is wrong thing to do," he said.
The programme gives the nation`s two-thirds population the right to get 5 kgs food grains per month at highly subsidised rates of Rs 1-3 per kg. The government would require 62 million tonnes of food grains to implement this programme, costing the exchequer Rs 1,25,000 crore annually.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh