Sajjan Kumar acquittal: Sikhs protest outside Sonia’s residence
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Angry over the acquittal of former MP Sajjan Kumar in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, Sikh groups on Thursday protested outside Congress chief Sonia Gandhi’s residence and the party office in the national capital.
Burning effigies of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sajjan Kumar, different Sikh groups gathered outside Gandhi`s 10, Janpath residence.
Protesters tried to break barricades put up by the Delhi Police in view of the planned protests.
"Over a thousand protesters marched towards Sonia Gandhi`s residence, breaking two barricades. But they were blocked by the policemen. Similar scenes were witnessed at 24, Akbar Road (the Congress office)," a senior police officer said.
Akbar Road, Motilal Nehru Marg, Krishna Menon Marg, Mansingh Road, Maulana Azad Road and Janpath in New Delhi area have been closed due to the protests.
On Wednesday, two Metro stations in West Delhi – Tilak Nagar and Subhash Nagar – were closed down after Sikh protesters stormed the facility and disrupted services.
Sajjan Kumar was acquitted by a court in Delhi on Tuesday in one of the 1984 riots cases. Sikh groups had protested outside the court complex on Tuesday as well. One of the protesters had even thrown a shoe at the judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch