Sangma rings up Mamata for support, told to withdraw if Kalam contests
Kolkata: Former Lok Sabha Speaker PA Sangma rang up Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee seeking her support for his candidature in the presidential election, Trinamool Congress MP Kunal Ghose said on Sunday.
Mamata, however, told Sangma, who had made the phone call after her return from Delhi last Friday, to support APJ Abdul Kalam in the event of the former President`s contesting the election, Ghose said.
The TMC chief also asked Sangma to withdraw from the race if Kalam, whom she wants to join the fray, agreed to contest, Ghose said.
On Friday, Mamata wrote on Facebook in support of Kalam`s candidature: "I gave voice to what millions of Indians want to see in a President. My Party is a small party. We are not a big party with none of the resources others possess. We are led by truth and conviction."
She further wrote, "He is a seeker of truth, a fount of knowledge and an impartial voice of reason and sanity, who is above narrow politics. He is the kind of man all our citizens aspire to make President."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?