Sangma rings up Mamata for support, told to withdraw if Kalam contests
Kolkata: Former Lok Sabha Speaker PA Sangma rang up Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee seeking her support for his candidature in the presidential election, Trinamool Congress MP Kunal Ghose said on Sunday.
Mamata, however, told Sangma, who had made the phone call after her return from Delhi last Friday, to support APJ Abdul Kalam in the event of the former President`s contesting the election, Ghose said.
The TMC chief also asked Sangma to withdraw from the race if Kalam, whom she wants to join the fray, agreed to contest, Ghose said.
On Friday, Mamata wrote on Facebook in support of Kalam`s candidature: "I gave voice to what millions of Indians want to see in a President. My Party is a small party. We are not a big party with none of the resources others possess. We are led by truth and conviction."
She further wrote, "He is a seeker of truth, a fount of knowledge and an impartial voice of reason and sanity, who is above narrow politics. He is the kind of man all our citizens aspire to make President."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!