Sarabjit Singh should be declared a martyr: Family
New Delhi: The family of Sarabjit Singh, Indian prisoner who succumbed to injuries after being brutally assaulted in a Lahore jail, has demanded that his body be handed over to them and he should be declared a "martyr".
The family has set forth demand to the Union Home Ministry including that Sarabjit`s body be cremated with full state honours, Raj Kumar Verka, Vice Chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Castes, said.
They have also demanded that the Centre take full responsibility of the family, Verka said.
The government will hold a meeting on Thursday to consider the demands of Sarabjit`s family, he added.
Sarabjit`s family, which had had gone to Pakistan on a 15-day visa on Sunday, two days after the assault, returned to India on Wednesday.
His wife Sukhpreet Kaur, daughters Poonam and Swapandeep Kaur and sister Dalbir Kaur had crossed over into India from Lahore through land border.
Verka said Sarabjit`s family members, who are with him at his New Delhi residence, are in a state of shock after receiving the news of his death.
He said he has forwarded the demands to the Union Home Ministry and is in touch with the Central leaders, including Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days