Satellite surveillance system installed in 21 airports
Tiruchirappalli: A cost effective satellite-based surveillance system has been installed in 21 airports in the country to help controllers track aircraft more accurately and enhance air space capacity.
The ADS-B system will help controllers track aircraft more accurately and thereby reduce spacing between two aircraft and enhance air space capacity, V Somasundaram, Board Member (Air Navigation Services), AAI, told reporters here last evening.
The new system will give alert every second as against the 5 seconds alert in the conventional approach radar. Approach radars currently cost Rs 10 crore while ADS-B costs only one tenth of this, he said.
Already, 21 stations have been covered and all the 120 airports under the ambit of Airports Authority of India, would be covered within the next one year in a phased manner.
The new system at Trichy International Airport will be commissioned within the next one month. The swath area of Trichy system is about 250-300 air km. As a result, Madurai does not require such a system, he said.
The data generated by ADS-B will be monitored through integrated air space management system at Chennai and Tiruvananthapuram.
On the long pending commissioning of GAGAN (Geo Augmented Navigation System) in the country, Somasundaram said this will hopefully be commissioned by December end pending initial clearance from DGCA.
The test run will take place and DGCA is expected to give its full clearance by June-July next, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round
- Rio Olympics 2016: Five Indian athletes who redefined 'woman power'