SC agrees to hear PIL challenging CAG appointment
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday agreed to hear a PIL challenging appointment of Shashi Kant Sharma as the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG).
A bench of Justices BS Chauhan and Dipak Misra, however, said there is no urgency in taking up the matter during vacation and posted the case for hearing in July.
Sharma was today sworn in as CAG by President Pranab Mukherjee.
The 61-year-old 1976-batch Bihar cadre IAS officer replaced Vinod Rai, who demitted office yesterday after a five-and-a-half year eventful tenure.
Challenging the appointment, advocate M L Sharma, who filed the PIL, said Sharma had in the last 10 years held several sensitive positions in the defence ministry that dealt with significant procurements and appointing him as CAG would mean a conflict of interest.
"He cannot be appointed an auditor to audit his own accounts report, work and performance during his previous tenure. Various multi-billion defence deals, including the Chopper scam, are pending for auditing before the CAG. Therefore, Sharma cannot be appointed as CAG to audit his own deal in any manner," the petition said.
"Government action is mala fide, arbitrary and under concocted scheme to justify their financial manipulation and scheme which are pending before the CAG for auditing. Impugned appointment is liable to be scrutinised by this court in the interest of justice," the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic