SC declines early hearing to PIL on VVIP chopper deal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday declined to give an urgent hearing to a PIL seeking apex court- monitored probe by a special investigation team (SIT) or CVC into the alleged kickbacks in the Rs 3600 crore VVIP chopper deal.
"Let it come in a regular way," a bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir said when the matter was mentioned for early hearing.
The public interest litigation filed by advocate M L Sharma has sought a direction for the Ministry of Defence to scrap the contract with Italian company Finmeccanica for the supply of 12 AW101 helicopters.
The helicopters are produced by Finmeccanica`s subsidiary AgustaWestland and till now India has already procured three of them to ferry VVIPs.
The advocate has sought SIT or CVC probe under the supervision of the apex court without involving CBI which, he alleged, is under government`s control.
The petition said despite having information since 2011, no FIR was lodged against Indian citizens allegedly involved in the scam.
The PIL was filed after Defence Minister AK Antony ordered CBI probe into the allegations of payment of bribes of about Rs 362 crore to clinch the deal.
Giuseppe Orsi, the head of Italian defence and aerospace giant Finmeccanica, was arrested on Monday in relation to a probe into international corruption.
The petition said the country which would have benefited from the deal has taken action while the country which lost money has not done anything and no arrest has yet been made.
The Ministry of Defence has decided to put on hold the receipt of the remaining nine of the 12 helicopters for which the Rs 3600 crore deal was struck in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH