SC denies bail to IAS officer in mining scam
New Delhi: In a setback to senior woman IAS
officer from Andhra Pradesh, Y Srilakshmi, allegedly involved in the Obulapuram mining scam along with Karnataka`s Reddy
brothers, the Supreme Court Monday refused to grant her bail.
A bench of justices H L Dattu and C K Prasad asked
Srilakshmi to approach the special CBI judge in Hyderabad,
dealing with the case, for bail.
The apex court said it was not inclined to grant her any relief at this stage as the CBI had filed its supplementary chargesheet and it would be appropriate if the officer makes a fresh bail plea before the court concerned.
Srilakshmi had moved the apex court challenging the Andhra
Pradesh High Court order cancelling her bail, granted by the
special CBI judge. The high court had cancelled the bail on
the ground that she had the propensity to tamper with the
evidence and influence the witnesses.
Additional Solicitor General Vivek Tankha appearing for
the CBI opposed Srilakshmi`s bail plea, saying her presence
was still necessary for the investigating agency.
Senior counsel L Nageswara Rao, appearing for Srilakshmi,
however, argued that the officer was willing to cooperate with
the investigating agencies and that there was no threat from
her to witnesses.
He submitted as the investigation has been completed and
the supplementary chargesheet filed, there was no need to
detain her further as it would be violative of her right to
life and liberty under Article 21 of the Constitution.
The bench, however, was not convinced with the argument
and asked the IAS officer to approach the CBI court afresh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day