SC denies bail to IAS officer in mining scam
New Delhi: In a setback to senior woman IAS
officer from Andhra Pradesh, Y Srilakshmi, allegedly involved in the Obulapuram mining scam along with Karnataka`s Reddy
brothers, the Supreme Court Monday refused to grant her bail.
A bench of justices H L Dattu and C K Prasad asked
Srilakshmi to approach the special CBI judge in Hyderabad,
dealing with the case, for bail.
The apex court said it was not inclined to grant her any relief at this stage as the CBI had filed its supplementary chargesheet and it would be appropriate if the officer makes a fresh bail plea before the court concerned.
Srilakshmi had moved the apex court challenging the Andhra
Pradesh High Court order cancelling her bail, granted by the
special CBI judge. The high court had cancelled the bail on
the ground that she had the propensity to tamper with the
evidence and influence the witnesses.
Additional Solicitor General Vivek Tankha appearing for
the CBI opposed Srilakshmi`s bail plea, saying her presence
was still necessary for the investigating agency.
Senior counsel L Nageswara Rao, appearing for Srilakshmi,
however, argued that the officer was willing to cooperate with
the investigating agencies and that there was no threat from
her to witnesses.
He submitted as the investigation has been completed and
the supplementary chargesheet filed, there was no need to
detain her further as it would be violative of her right to
life and liberty under Article 21 of the Constitution.
The bench, however, was not convinced with the argument
and asked the IAS officer to approach the CBI court afresh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India