SC directs Centre, Uttarakhand govt to make all efforts to rescue people
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In the wake of huge devastation in Uttarakhand, the Supreme Court on Thursday directed the Centre and the state government to file a report on the relief and rehabilitation work in the flood-ravaged state by June 25.
The top court further directed the Centre and the Uttarakhand government to make an all-out effort to rescue people stranded in the state due to flash floods.
The help should include food, drinking water, medicines and fuel, judges AK Patnaik and Ranjan Gogoi said.
The apex court bench said relief material must be provided to the affected and stranded people without any discrimination.
Over 60,000 people are stranded after torrential rain and landslides wreaked havoc.
The SC also said that enough helicopters must be used to help evacuate people and drop food packets.
In its report to the Union Home Ministry, the Uttarakhand State Disaster Mitigation and Management Centre has said that casualties in the affected areas may run into thousands with about 90 ‘dharamashalas` (rest houses for pilgrims) swept away in the flash floods. However, the toll has been kept officially at 150.
"It is a calamity that has numbed me by its sheer magnitude," Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna had said.
(With IANS inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed