SC directs Centre, Uttarakhand govt to make all efforts to rescue people
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In the wake of huge devastation in Uttarakhand, the Supreme Court on Thursday directed the Centre and the state government to file a report on the relief and rehabilitation work in the flood-ravaged state by June 25.
The top court further directed the Centre and the Uttarakhand government to make an all-out effort to rescue people stranded in the state due to flash floods.
The help should include food, drinking water, medicines and fuel, judges AK Patnaik and Ranjan Gogoi said.
The apex court bench said relief material must be provided to the affected and stranded people without any discrimination.
Over 60,000 people are stranded after torrential rain and landslides wreaked havoc.
The SC also said that enough helicopters must be used to help evacuate people and drop food packets.
In its report to the Union Home Ministry, the Uttarakhand State Disaster Mitigation and Management Centre has said that casualties in the affected areas may run into thousands with about 90 ‘dharamashalas` (rest houses for pilgrims) swept away in the flash floods. However, the toll has been kept officially at 150.
"It is a calamity that has numbed me by its sheer magnitude," Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna had said.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what