‘Security around Indian Ocean worrisome’
New Delhi: Describing the emerging security matrix in the Indian Ocean Region as “really complex”, with “some political developments” and worrisome factors, Defence Minister A.K. Antony today called upon the top brass of the Navy to maintain high levels of preparedness at all times.
Addressing the Naval Commanders Conference here, Antony said, “we have a well-established material and training assistance programme with Indian Ocean Region countries for their capacity-building and enhancement”.
“Today, the security situation in our immediate neighbourhood has become really complex. Considering the challenges in the Indian Ocean Region, it is essential to maintain high levels of operational preparedness at all times.”
He further said: “On the one hand, there are some political developments, and on the other hand, a number of other factors are a cause for worry and need to be factored into our preparations, both in the short-term and long-term.”
Antony said India’s strategic location in the Indian Ocean and the professional capability of the Indian Navy bestows upon us a natural ability to play a leading role in ensuring peace and stability in the Indian Ocean Region.
“The security of maritime activity through the sea-lanes in Indian Ocean is of crucial importance for the economic prosperity of our nation and that of the world. The free movement of trade and energy supplies and various economic activities such as fishing and extraction of mineral resources is equally crucial for economic security,” he added.
Commending the Navy’s modernization programme, Antony said the induction of the nuclear powered submarine INS Chakra has ushered in a new era of submarine operations, and added that the Navy is on course to acquire potent platforms to add to its blue water capability.
“The induction of Vikramaditya in the near future, the potent MiG 29 Ks, as well as P81 long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft would strengthen the Navy further. Recently, the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA-Navy) made its successful maiden flight,” he said. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post