Security helpline to come up for train passengers
New Delhi: A nationwide railway helpline
number - 135- to help passengers seeking security assistance during train journeys is in the offing.
The All-India Passenger Security Helpline can be used
all over the country round-the-clock.
"All necessary preparations for launching the helpline
for security assistance are being made to launch the first of
its kind all-India service," a senior Railway Ministry
official involved with the project said.
The helpline will be managed by the Railway Protection
"There will be a control room near the Daya Basti here
to receive complaints round-the-clock. The control room
building is ready now," said the official, adding "a passenger
can make any security-related complaint using the number."
RPF will provide necessary training to about 250 staff
for the call centre job. "There will be about 30 RPF personnel
deployed at the control room to receive the complaints and do
the needful," the official said.
Networking of all RPF units and other modalities are being worked out to launch the helpline.
"Networking of security control rooms and important
posts has been sanctioned at an estimated cost of Rs 4.41
crores for speedy collection and dissemination of crime
related information," he said.
Noting that railways is becoming a soft target of
sabotage and terrorism, the official said, "Security of
passengers is of paramount importance for railways and we
would like all passengers to travel fearlessly".
Railways are also planning to amend railway property law to empower RPF in dealing with passenger-related offences.
Necessary amendments in the Railway Property (unlawful
possession) Act to further empower RPF officers to conduct
inquiry on receipt of information and widen the ambit of its
penal sections is passed in Rajya Sabha and now it will be
sent to Lok Sabha for consideration.
"The amendments will empower the RPF to deal with
passenger-related offences," he said, adding "RPF will have to
play a vital role in coordination with other police forces and
intelligence agencies to deter disruptive elements and ensure
smooth, safe and secure movement of railways as well as
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe