Send Sarabjit to India on humanitarian grounds: Minister
Chandigarh: Punjab minister Adaish Partap Singh Kairon on Monday requested Pakistan to hand over death row convict Sarabjit Singh, lying in coma in a Lahore hospital, to India on humanitarian grounds as prayers were held in several parts of the state for his speedy recovery.
Kairon, who is the Food and Civil supplies minister, said Sarabjit was battling for life and Pakistan should send him to India immediately for treatment on humanitarian grounds.
He said such a step would help in strengthening bilateral ties.
The minister also requested the Union government to take all possible steps to bring Sarabjit back to India for proper treatment.
Kairon asked Pakistan to release all Indian prisoners, who had completed their tenure, as a goodwill gesture.
Inhabitants of Bhikiwind village in Tarn Taran district, the native place of Sarabjit, held prayers for his speedy recovery.
Prayers were also held at the Golden Temple, the most revered Sikh shrine, for Sarabjit.
Reports of people holding prayers and seeking Centre`s intervention on the matter also poured in from Hoshiarpur, Phagwara, Mohali, Gurdaspur and Sangrur.
Sarabjit suffered grievous injuries, including skull fracture, when six fellow prisoners attacked him in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday.
He is in deep coma and on ventilator support in Jinnah Hospital.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India