Send Sarabjit to India on humanitarian grounds: Minister
Chandigarh: Punjab minister Adaish Partap Singh Kairon on Monday requested Pakistan to hand over death row convict Sarabjit Singh, lying in coma in a Lahore hospital, to India on humanitarian grounds as prayers were held in several parts of the state for his speedy recovery.
Kairon, who is the Food and Civil supplies minister, said Sarabjit was battling for life and Pakistan should send him to India immediately for treatment on humanitarian grounds.
He said such a step would help in strengthening bilateral ties.
The minister also requested the Union government to take all possible steps to bring Sarabjit back to India for proper treatment.
Kairon asked Pakistan to release all Indian prisoners, who had completed their tenure, as a goodwill gesture.
Inhabitants of Bhikiwind village in Tarn Taran district, the native place of Sarabjit, held prayers for his speedy recovery.
Prayers were also held at the Golden Temple, the most revered Sikh shrine, for Sarabjit.
Reports of people holding prayers and seeking Centre`s intervention on the matter also poured in from Hoshiarpur, Phagwara, Mohali, Gurdaspur and Sangrur.
Sarabjit suffered grievous injuries, including skull fracture, when six fellow prisoners attacked him in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday.
He is in deep coma and on ventilator support in Jinnah Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day