Sexy remark: ‘NCW chief should resign’
New Delhi: NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma`s remark that the word "sexy" should not be taken in a negative connotation has drawn the ire of women`s rights activists who demanded her resignation even as she rebutted criticism saying the comment was made in a "broad" context.
"She can say whatever she wants to as Mamata Sharma but as the head of NCW, she can`t make such ridiculous statements. Even the law says that sexually coloured remarks are tantamount to harassing women. For her (Sharma), the remark might not mean anything, but we see it as a way of promoting violence," said PUCL general secretary Kavita Srivastava.
She said Sharma must take "moral responsibility" for her "irresponsible" remark and step down from her post.
At a function in Jaipur yesterday, the NCW Chairperson said "sexy" meant "beautiful and charming" so it should not be taken in a negative sense.
"Boys pass comments on girls terming them sexy but sexy means beautiful and charming. We should not see it in a negative sense," she had said in the function held by a women`s organisation.
"It is shocking that Sharma is commenting on how women and girls should receive the word `sexy`. We are outraged and shocked by what she has said," women`s organisations in Rajasthan said in a joint statement.
Joining the chorus against the remark, BJP spokesperson Nirmala Seetharaman said the statement should not have been made even if there was no malafide intention involved.
"I think any statement which leads to the commodification of women should not be said even if there is no malafide intention. Caution must be exercised while making statements, especially by women who occupy positions of significance," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Seetharaman told a news agency.
The BJP had yesterday described Sharma`s remark as "demoralising for women" and had demanded her resignation. Reacting to the incident, the CPI(M) said the "real issue" was lost in the controversy.
"Focus on a particular word is misplaced. Any word that is unsolicited or unwanted, which is about, on or to a woman, is an offence. That is the real issue, not just the word,"
said CPI(M) leader and prominent women`s rights activist Brinda Karat.
Seeking to downplay the controversy, Sharma said she had made the remark in a "broader context" since she was addressing the youth.
"My remark was made in the broader context since I was addressing the youth. But the same does not imply for strangers or roadside Romeos who use the word sexy to tease
girls. That is condemnable," she told a news agency.
"I would like to clarify that the younger generation is literate and have certain different approach and have come to terms with words like sexy which is not held to be a
derogatory remark. But that doesn`t mean anyone can use it," she said.
"I was positive in my approach so I said that sexy means beautiful. One should take it in positive sense," the Chairperson added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow