Shashi Kant Sharma sworn in as CAG
New Delhi: Shashi Kant Sharma was on Thursday sworn in as CAG by President Pranab Mukherjee in the Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
The 61-year-old 1976 Bihar cadre IAS officer replaced Vinod Rai, who superannuated yesterday after a five-and-a-half year eventful tenure as the head of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG).
"Shashi Kant Sharma will have a tenure up to September 24, 2017," an official statement said.
He was holding the post of Defence Secretary prior to this new assignment.
Sharma`s appointment comes at a time when the CAG has come under sharp attack from the government and ruling party for its reports on assessment of Rs 1.76 lakh crore loss in allocation of 2G spectrum.
Under Rai`s tenure, the CAG was accused of going beyond its auditing ambit and indulging in analysing policy decisions.
Rai, however, had hit back saying the government just wanted the CAG to be an accountant.
The new CAG will have to handle the audit report on AgustaWestland chopper deal, among other reports. He was closely associated with the deal from its early days till its completion in 2010.
CAG reports on 2G spectrum and coal blocks allocation during Rai`s tenure had triggered a number of controversies and raised the hackles of the government, besides bringing in the concept of presumptive loss in audit.
Like Vinod Rai, Sharma too has served as Secretary in the Department of Financial Services.
Sharma, who holds a Masters degree in Political Science from the University of York, has spent over 10 years in the Defence Ministry in various capacities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees