Shashi Kant Sharma sworn in as CAG
New Delhi: Shashi Kant Sharma was on Thursday sworn in as CAG by President Pranab Mukherjee in the Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
The 61-year-old 1976 Bihar cadre IAS officer replaced Vinod Rai, who superannuated yesterday after a five-and-a-half year eventful tenure as the head of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG).
"Shashi Kant Sharma will have a tenure up to September 24, 2017," an official statement said.
He was holding the post of Defence Secretary prior to this new assignment.
Sharma`s appointment comes at a time when the CAG has come under sharp attack from the government and ruling party for its reports on assessment of Rs 1.76 lakh crore loss in allocation of 2G spectrum.
Under Rai`s tenure, the CAG was accused of going beyond its auditing ambit and indulging in analysing policy decisions.
Rai, however, had hit back saying the government just wanted the CAG to be an accountant.
The new CAG will have to handle the audit report on AgustaWestland chopper deal, among other reports. He was closely associated with the deal from its early days till its completion in 2010.
CAG reports on 2G spectrum and coal blocks allocation during Rai`s tenure had triggered a number of controversies and raised the hackles of the government, besides bringing in the concept of presumptive loss in audit.
Like Vinod Rai, Sharma too has served as Secretary in the Department of Financial Services.
Sharma, who holds a Masters degree in Political Science from the University of York, has spent over 10 years in the Defence Ministry in various capacities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games
- PM Narendra Modi's brother raises arrest of dhaba owner with Indore police chief
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected