Shift Commonwealth conference out of SL: Minister
Chennai: Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan on Saturday repeated his demand that Commonwealth conference should be moved out of Sri Lanka and India should be represented at the changed venue.
"As far as the Commonwealth conference is concerned, as I have mentioned already, it should not be held in Sri Lanka and (the venue) should be changed," he told reporters.
Vasan said this was the "wish of Tamil Nadu," and added that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other ministers (representing India) should participate only after the conference, to be held in November, is moved out of Colombo.
Several parties, including the AIADMK and the DMK, have been demanding that the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) be shifted out of Sri Lanka against the backdrop of alleged war crimes against civilian Tamils by the Lankan army during the last phase of armed conflict with the LTTE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Would love to direct Ajay Devgn, Kajol in a family drama: Rohit Shetty
- Sidharth teaches IIT students 'Kaala chashma'
- First for Indian carrier: Air India will soon fly over Pacific Ocean to San Francisco
- Suspected terror attack at Indonesian church; no serious casualties
- CPI-M legislator Samir Deb Sarkar in Tripura dead