Shift Commonwealth conference out of SL: Minister
Chennai: Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan on Saturday repeated his demand that Commonwealth conference should be moved out of Sri Lanka and India should be represented at the changed venue.
"As far as the Commonwealth conference is concerned, as I have mentioned already, it should not be held in Sri Lanka and (the venue) should be changed," he told reporters.
Vasan said this was the "wish of Tamil Nadu," and added that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other ministers (representing India) should participate only after the conference, to be held in November, is moved out of Colombo.
Several parties, including the AIADMK and the DMK, have been demanding that the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) be shifted out of Sri Lanka against the backdrop of alleged war crimes against civilian Tamils by the Lankan army during the last phase of armed conflict with the LTTE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate