Shocked by rape of Swiss tourist in India: Switzerland
Bern: Switzerland has said it is "profoundly shocked" by the gang-rape of a Swiss tourist in India and demanded that those responsible for the "tragic incident" be quickly identified and punished.
Reacting to the incident in which the Swiss female tourist on a cycling trip with her husband was gang-raped by seven to eight people at a forest area in Datia district of Madhya Pradesh on Friday, the Swiss Foreign Ministry said it is "profoundly shocked".
Terming it as a "tragic incident", a Foreign Ministry statement here said, Swiss diplomats in India are in contact with the local authorities and have "demanded that those responsible be quickly identified and brought before the courts".
The Swiss embassy in New Dehli and the consulate in Mumbai are also providing support to the couple, whose names have not been released, Swiss Broadcasting Corporation`s website reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre