Shocked by rape of Swiss tourist in India: Switzerland
Bern: Switzerland has said it is "profoundly shocked" by the gang-rape of a Swiss tourist in India and demanded that those responsible for the "tragic incident" be quickly identified and punished.
Reacting to the incident in which the Swiss female tourist on a cycling trip with her husband was gang-raped by seven to eight people at a forest area in Datia district of Madhya Pradesh on Friday, the Swiss Foreign Ministry said it is "profoundly shocked".
Terming it as a "tragic incident", a Foreign Ministry statement here said, Swiss diplomats in India are in contact with the local authorities and have "demanded that those responsible be quickly identified and brought before the courts".
The Swiss embassy in New Dehli and the consulate in Mumbai are also providing support to the couple, whose names have not been released, Swiss Broadcasting Corporation`s website reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Lifestyle and home remedies to deal with panic attacks!
- Quran desecration case: AAP MLA Naresh Yadav sent to 2-day police custody
- Beijing dodges ASEAN rebuke over South China Sea row
- Afghan civilian casualties at record high in first half of 2016: UN
- Nepal likely to form consensus government within seven days of Oli resigning