Shocked by rape of Swiss tourist in India: Switzerland
Bern: Switzerland has said it is "profoundly shocked" by the gang-rape of a Swiss tourist in India and demanded that those responsible for the "tragic incident" be quickly identified and punished.
Reacting to the incident in which the Swiss female tourist on a cycling trip with her husband was gang-raped by seven to eight people at a forest area in Datia district of Madhya Pradesh on Friday, the Swiss Foreign Ministry said it is "profoundly shocked".
Terming it as a "tragic incident", a Foreign Ministry statement here said, Swiss diplomats in India are in contact with the local authorities and have "demanded that those responsible be quickly identified and brought before the courts".
The Swiss embassy in New Dehli and the consulate in Mumbai are also providing support to the couple, whose names have not been released, Swiss Broadcasting Corporation`s website reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption