Shocked by rape of Swiss tourist in India: Switzerland
Bern: Switzerland has said it is "profoundly shocked" by the gang-rape of a Swiss tourist in India and demanded that those responsible for the "tragic incident" be quickly identified and punished.
Reacting to the incident in which the Swiss female tourist on a cycling trip with her husband was gang-raped by seven to eight people at a forest area in Datia district of Madhya Pradesh on Friday, the Swiss Foreign Ministry said it is "profoundly shocked".
Terming it as a "tragic incident", a Foreign Ministry statement here said, Swiss diplomats in India are in contact with the local authorities and have "demanded that those responsible be quickly identified and brought before the courts".
The Swiss embassy in New Dehli and the consulate in Mumbai are also providing support to the couple, whose names have not been released, Swiss Broadcasting Corporation`s website reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Turkey tanks enter Syria in anti-Islamic State operation
- Union Cabinet clears Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 – Know the new rules
- 6.8 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar; tremors felt in northeast, Kolkata, Patna, Guwahati
- Did OP Jaisha lie about official apathy in Rio? Here is her co-runner's version
- Can bear body odour, not bad breath: Ranveer Singh