Sikh woman charged in Lt-Gen KS Brar attack case in UK
London: A 38-year-old Sikh woman has been charged in connection with the attack on the 1984 Operation Blue Star hero KS Brar here last September, taking to four the number of people accused in the case.
"Harjit Kaur appeared in custody at Westminster Magistrates` Court on Friday charged with wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm on Lieutenant-General KS Brar," a Metropolitan police spokesperson said.
Kaur, from Hayes in west London, is the fourth accused to be charged in the case along with Barjinder Singh Sangha (33), Mandeep Singh Sandhu (34) and Dilbagh Singh (36).
The three Sikh men had appeared at Southwark Crown Court on January 18, when Sangha pleaded guilty to the attack on Lt Gen Brar.
He, however, pleaded not guilty on the charge of assault on his wife Meena Brar.
All four charged in relation to the attack are scheduled to stand trial from April 2.
Lt Gen Brar had sustained serious, but not life-threatening, injuries when suspected Khalistan sympathisers stabbed him in the neck and cheek in central London.
The 78-year-old, who was here on a private visit here, was heading back to his hotel with his wife, who escaped unharmed and was instrumental in alerting passers-by with her screams to call the police.
While Sandhu admits he was present at the scene but did not participate in the attack, Dilbagh Singh has refused to confirm or deny even his presence on the day.
During the hearing last month, Judge McCreath described the incident as a "serious attack" and stressed that this lack of a definitive answer from Singh will be construed as a decision not to cooperate with the court.
The retired general, who spearheaded the military raid against Sikh separatists at Golden Temple back in 1984, will give evidence in the trial via live video link from India.
The prosecution claimed there were a large number of eyewitnesses in the case and a timetable of witnesses will be submitted to the court by March 28. The court was also informed about additional evidence, including small parts of CCTV footage, telephonic and medical statements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why