Social justice, terrorism major challenges: Jaitley
New Delhi: Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley on Sunday said that social justice and terrorism were among the major challenges faced by Indian democracy as the nation celebrated 60 years of Parliament.
"Social justice, elimination of poverty, healthcare, women`s empowerment, these are all greater challenges in the decades to come," Jaitley said while speaking in the upper house in a special sitting to mark 60 years of the Lok Sabha.
"We still continue to face the curse of terrorism and insurgency. Let us resolve there will be no politics in these issues. We will not only eliminate but sense will be that those who rebel outside the system one day, we will get them within the system," he said.
He also paid tribute to those security officials who lost their lives in the attack on parliament in December 2001.
"The last 60 years have seen collapse of many democracies. For a poor country, it is more difficult to sustain a democracy. From poverty, we have come to being a developing nation," Jaitley said.
"Not only did we survive, we have the distinction of becoming world`s largest democracy," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO