Sonia talks tough on corruption as UPA-2 completes 3 yrs
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday asked the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government to take tough action against those involved in corruption cases as it completed three years in office.
The UPA chairperson made this statement while addressing the Congress` executive committee meet.
Sonia, while promising a clean-up act, lamented that the corruption taint was denting the party`s image.
Sonia told the Congress party leaders that strict action would be taken against all those who were found indulging in corruption.
Sonia’s call for tough action against corruption comes on a day when Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh is due to release a report card on the UPA-II government’s performance in all these years to mark the occasion.
The Prime Minister has also hosted a dinner to mark the third anniversary of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance UPA-II at the centre.
However Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, DMK patriarch K Karunanidhi and Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati have decided to skip the dinner being hosted by Prime Minister.
The Congress-led coalition government has completed three years while struggling to contain alliance partners on key issues including passage of key economic legislations and decisions like Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail.
The UPA coalition faces tough challenges in the run up to the 2014 General Elections due to growing resentment in public over rising prices, corruption and increasing lawlessness.
The celebration also comes at a time when a fresh opinion poll has indicated that nearly 66% of the urban population is unhappy with the UPA government’s functioning and believes that it has lost its credibility to govern.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'