Sonia talks tough on corruption as UPA-2 completes 3 yrs
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday asked the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government to take tough action against those involved in corruption cases as it completed three years in office.
The UPA chairperson made this statement while addressing the Congress` executive committee meet.
Sonia, while promising a clean-up act, lamented that the corruption taint was denting the party`s image.
Sonia told the Congress party leaders that strict action would be taken against all those who were found indulging in corruption.
Sonia’s call for tough action against corruption comes on a day when Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh is due to release a report card on the UPA-II government’s performance in all these years to mark the occasion.
The Prime Minister has also hosted a dinner to mark the third anniversary of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance UPA-II at the centre.
However Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, DMK patriarch K Karunanidhi and Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati have decided to skip the dinner being hosted by Prime Minister.
The Congress-led coalition government has completed three years while struggling to contain alliance partners on key issues including passage of key economic legislations and decisions like Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail.
The UPA coalition faces tough challenges in the run up to the 2014 General Elections due to growing resentment in public over rising prices, corruption and increasing lawlessness.
The celebration also comes at a time when a fresh opinion poll has indicated that nearly 66% of the urban population is unhappy with the UPA government’s functioning and believes that it has lost its credibility to govern.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly