Sonia talks tough on corruption as UPA-2 completes 3 yrs
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday asked the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government to take tough action against those involved in corruption cases as it completed three years in office.
The UPA chairperson made this statement while addressing the Congress` executive committee meet.
Sonia, while promising a clean-up act, lamented that the corruption taint was denting the party`s image.
Sonia told the Congress party leaders that strict action would be taken against all those who were found indulging in corruption.
Sonia’s call for tough action against corruption comes on a day when Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh is due to release a report card on the UPA-II government’s performance in all these years to mark the occasion.
The Prime Minister has also hosted a dinner to mark the third anniversary of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance UPA-II at the centre.
However Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, DMK patriarch K Karunanidhi and Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati have decided to skip the dinner being hosted by Prime Minister.
The Congress-led coalition government has completed three years while struggling to contain alliance partners on key issues including passage of key economic legislations and decisions like Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail.
The UPA coalition faces tough challenges in the run up to the 2014 General Elections due to growing resentment in public over rising prices, corruption and increasing lawlessness.
The celebration also comes at a time when a fresh opinion poll has indicated that nearly 66% of the urban population is unhappy with the UPA government’s functioning and believes that it has lost its credibility to govern.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth