Sreedharan not to head Kochi Metro
New Delhi: Delhi Metro chief E Sreedharan,
who demits office on December 31, will not head the proposed
Kochi Metro Rail project, contrary to speculation in his home
state of Kerala that he has been chosen for the job.
The Congress Government in Kerala has been very keen on
using the services of Sreedharan, who revolutionised the way
Delhi travels through Metro, for building a similar new age
transport system in Kochi.
"No, no," Sreedharan said when asked whether he will be
heading Kochi Metro, the approval for which is likely to be
given by the Union Cabinet soon.
"Kochi Metro will be handled by the Delhi Metro. If I am
here, yes, I will be involved. If I am not here I don`t get
involved," he told news agency.
The comments by 79-year-old `Metro Man` puts at rest all
speculation about his heading the project which envisages
constructing a nearly 20-km Metro network.
Speculation was rife for the past few months that
Sreedharan would head the Kochi Metro after he steps down as
the Managing Director of Delhi Metro on December 31, 2011.
Chief Minister Oomen Chandy had also expressed his
interest in roping in experts like Sreedharan for the Metro
However, Sreedharan gave ample indications that he was
not going to take up any offer after his tenure comes to an
He said he was eager to go back to his village in
Thrissur district and spend his post-retirement days there
with his family.
Sreedharan joined Indian Railways in 1953 and headed the
Konkan Railway project after his retirement and finally he was
made the Managing Director of the DMRC in 1995.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre