Sri Lanka Navy arrests three Indian fishermen
Colombo: Three Indian fishermen have been arrested by Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly poaching in the country`s waters while six others were rescued in a separate instance.
Navy spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said that three Indian fishermen were arrested along with their boat for poaching in Sri Lankan waters last night off the coast of Kankesanturai (KKS) in the north.
They are to be handed over to KKS police today.
Separately, the Navy rescued six distressed Indian fishermen in the Gulf of Mannar off the northeast coast on Friday.
They were onboard a boat named `Neranjana` and will be handed over to the Indian Coast Guards later.
Poaching by two countries` fishermen in each other`s waters have been a recurring problem for the South Asian neighbours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city