Sri Lanka Navy arrests three Indian fishermen
Colombo: Three Indian fishermen have been arrested by Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly poaching in the country`s waters while six others were rescued in a separate instance.
Navy spokesman Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya said that three Indian fishermen were arrested along with their boat for poaching in Sri Lankan waters last night off the coast of Kankesanturai (KKS) in the north.
They are to be handed over to KKS police today.
Separately, the Navy rescued six distressed Indian fishermen in the Gulf of Mannar off the northeast coast on Friday.
They were onboard a boat named `Neranjana` and will be handed over to the Indian Coast Guards later.
Poaching by two countries` fishermen in each other`s waters have been a recurring problem for the South Asian neighbours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death