Sri Lanka offers to repatriate 10 Indian prisoners
New Delhi: Sri Lanka has offered to repatriate 10 Indian prisoners, currently serving their sentence in the island nation`s jails, to India to complete their remaining prison term.
This was conveyed by Colombo to New Delhi through diplomatic channels saying it wanted to send the prisoners back as part of a pact signed by Sri Lanka and India on exchange of prisoners in 2010, official sources said.
Most of the Indian prisoners in Sri Lanka are from Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
The Home Ministry is now in touch with the state governments and discussing with them where to lodge the prisoners to spend their remaining period of sentence once they are repatriated from Sri Lanka, sources said.
Majority of Indians were convicted in Sri Lanka for drugs-related offences, crossing over of international maritime boundary and other crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead