Sri Lanka offers to repatriate 10 Indian prisoners
New Delhi: Sri Lanka has offered to repatriate 10 Indian prisoners, currently serving their sentence in the island nation`s jails, to India to complete their remaining prison term.
This was conveyed by Colombo to New Delhi through diplomatic channels saying it wanted to send the prisoners back as part of a pact signed by Sri Lanka and India on exchange of prisoners in 2010, official sources said.
Most of the Indian prisoners in Sri Lanka are from Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
The Home Ministry is now in touch with the state governments and discussing with them where to lodge the prisoners to spend their remaining period of sentence once they are repatriated from Sri Lanka, sources said.
Majority of Indians were convicted in Sri Lanka for drugs-related offences, crossing over of international maritime boundary and other crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL