Sri Lanka offers to repatriate 10 Indian prisoners
New Delhi: Sri Lanka has offered to repatriate 10 Indian prisoners, currently serving their sentence in the island nation`s jails, to India to complete their remaining prison term.
This was conveyed by Colombo to New Delhi through diplomatic channels saying it wanted to send the prisoners back as part of a pact signed by Sri Lanka and India on exchange of prisoners in 2010, official sources said.
Most of the Indian prisoners in Sri Lanka are from Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
The Home Ministry is now in touch with the state governments and discussing with them where to lodge the prisoners to spend their remaining period of sentence once they are repatriated from Sri Lanka, sources said.
Majority of Indians were convicted in Sri Lanka for drugs-related offences, crossing over of international maritime boundary and other crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing