States adding new dimension to India-US ties: Indian envoy
Washington: A new dimension is being added to the India-US global partnership with growing ties between the states of the two countries, according to the Indian ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao.
Maryland state surrounding the US capital on three sides "has been one of the pioneers in this regard and we admire and are completely supportive of the initiatives you have taken in this regard," she said in an address to the state Assembly in Annapolis on Tuesday.
Rao addressed both the chambers of the Maryland General Assembly, the first legislature set up in the United States, predating the Capitol in Washington DC. She also met the Speaker of the House of Delegates, Michael Busch.
State governor Martin O`Malley`s six-day visit to India in November 2011 produced significant results with nearly USD 60 million in business deals for Maryland companies, Rao recalled.
This, she said citing the governor sent "a strong message to India`s top business organizations and companies that Maryland is the gateway to doing business in the US."
Turning to the role of the Indian American community "in advancing the progress and well-being of the US", Rao said: "They epitomize strong family values, educational excellence, creativity, innovation, high standards of professionalism, and dedication to your core democratic principles and traditions."
Maryland`s three Indian-American lawmakers, "Sam Arora, (House majority leader) Kumar Barve, Rajan Natarajan, and Aruna Miller are all proud Americans who are also proud of their Indian heritage," she said.
"They play a very important role in bringing our two countries together. They are the bridge-builders of friendship between India and Maryland particularly."
Rao hoped that in the future "Maryland will build stronger and stronger ties with states in India, that are good for businesses in both our countries, in manufacturing, in services, in education, in research and technological innovation.
"That future is what we must aspire to. That promise is what we must see fulfilled" added the ambassador.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender