States need to amend laws to make cooperatives autonomous: President
New Delhi: Indian cooperatives need to bring in professionalism for which state laws need to be amended in line with Central legislation to ensure the country`s 6 lakh cooperatives work as autonomous, self-reliant and democratic bodies, President Pranab Mukherjee said here on Saturday.
The Centre has brought in the 97th amendment to the Constitution which has been made effective from February 2012.
The state governments have been given one year time till February, 2013 to amend their laws accordingly.
"Recently, the government has taken a big initiative for cooperatives by bringing a 97th amendment to the Constitution, which enables democratic and autonomous functioning. By this amendment, right to form cooperatives has been made a fundamental right," Mukherjee said after giving away the NCDC awards for cooperative excellence, here.
He said to take this initiative further to grass root levels, state governments also need to create an enabling environment by amending state laws as and when necessary.
Mukherjee further said although the cooperatives sector with 6 lakh cooperatives and 24 crore membership has made an effective contribution for inclusive growth, the sector is confronted with challenges.
"The cooperatives in our country face many challenges and problems. Their performance across sector, activities and regions is variable. They need to re-orient by improving their efficiency and have to develop themselves professionally to meet requirement of their core clientele," he said.
Echoing views, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said: "Never before has the need for restoring confidence of people in the cooperative sector been felt so much to achieve the goal of inclusive development.
In this context, he said, the issue of good governance has assumed importance as large number of cooperatives are experiencing serious problems "like mismanagement, financial impropriety, growing distance between members and management and weak resources, etc".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested