Subramanian Swamy revealed `Election info` of 1977: WikiLeaks
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what may trigger a political storm in the country, according to the latest WikiLeaks revelations, senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Subramanian Swamy had passed on information regarding elections held during tenure of ex-Prime Minister Indira Gandhi to the US, a news report published on Friday said.
The WikiLeaks posted on micro-blogging website twitter today -
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) April 24, 2014
The report states that WikiLeaks has also released an electronic telegram sent in 1977 which contains classified information about Indira Gandhi, saying that Swamy told a US department officer that Gandhi was in a hurry to declare elections in the month of March due to her ill health.
It was sent from the Department of State (USA) to New Delhi, India, the WikiLeak report said.
“SUBRAMANIAN SWAMY SUGGESTED TO DEPARTMENT OFFICER TEN DAYS AGO THAT HE HEARD MRS. GANDHI WAS PROMPTED TO SET THE MARCH ELECTION DATE
BECAUSE SHE WANTED TO SQUARE THINGS AWAY IN VIEW OF HER
QTE FAILING HEALTH UNQTE,” the WikiLeak report said.
The entire report has been published on the website of WikiLeak:
In a major turn of events, the ruling Congress lost control of India for the first time in independent India in the Indian General Election, 1977.
The election came after the end of `The Emergency` that Prime Minister Gandhi had imposed in 1975; it effectively suspended democracy, suppressed the opposition, and took control of the media with authoritarian measures.
Gandhi even lost her seat in Rae Bareli, Uttar Pradesh and Congress was ousted in the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues