`Substandard food being distributed by anganwadis’
New Delhi: Bringing into focus the lack of checks and balances in the Supplementary Nutrition programme under the government`s flagship ICDS scheme, a CAG audit has said that substandard food was being distributed by Anganwadi centres in at least three states.
The Supplementary Nutrition programme implemented by the Union Women and Child Development (WCD) ministry aims to combat the problem of malnutrition in the country by providing dietary supplements to children, pregnant women and lactating mothers.
In its 22nd report of 2012-13, which was tabled in Parliament earlier in the week, the CAG has said that distribution of sub standard food by the Anganwadi Centres (AWCs) had been found in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Haryana.
The audit report said that a social audit conducted by the Council for Social Development, New Delhi at 154 AWCs of Anantapur District in Andhra Pradesh had found that during September-November 2008 the `ready to cook mixes` were "unpalatable".
The auditor also claimed that on physical inspection it was found that some of the items had sticky texture which became inedible within minutes after preparation.
"In 18 test-checked AWCs children were reported to have fallen ill after consuming it. The supplier M/s A P Foods continued to supply these mixes till November 2011, despite reports about the beneficiaries disliking the food in two test-checked Projects," the CAG report said.
The auditor pointed that A P foods is a government of Andhra Pradesh enterprise. It added that there was no system of watching expiry of food items.
The CAG report in its evaluation of the Supplementary Nutrition programme in Gujarat said that instances of supply of flour after expiry of shelf life were noticed.
"On being returned, the supplier reprocessed it, changed the gunny bags and resupplied. The same was sent for testing after 20-22 days of receipt after their distribution to AWCs. Instances of supply of sub-standard flour having 15 gm of insects per 100 gm of flour were also noticed," the auditor said in its report on implementation of Supplementary nutrition programme in Gujarat.
Turning to Haryana, the auditor said two supply orders worth Rs 2.69 crore were placed in April 2006 with a firm to supply ready to eat `multi cereal energy mix food.`
The report said that two out of the 19 projects to which this food was supplied, refused to accept it observing that the same was not as per the norms prescribed.
The CAG report said that while this fact was brought to the notice of the state ICDS Directorate, no further testing was done for the food stuff which was accepted by the remaining 17 projects.
"This posed a question mark over the standard of serving of 14,516.20 quintal food costing Rs 2.69 crore in these projects," the CAG report said.
The cases of distribution of substandard foods under the Supplementary Nutrition plans indicated that checks and balances for ensuring the quality of food stuff were not in place, the audit report said.
"The ministry should consider constituting State level Food and Nutrition Board to ensure quality of food served to the beneficiaries," the audit report has recommended to the WCD ministry which implements the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India