Sukhoi crashed near Pune due to unknown fault: IAF
New Delhi: The Su-30MKI aircraft crashed
near Pune on Tuesday due to an unknown fault that gave no
indication to the pilot and an expert team from Russia has
arrived to address it, Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne on Friday
The flying of entire fleet of 120 aircraft which was
suspended after the mishap will resume from Monday.
"There was a problem in the fly-by-wire system... This is
a new thing. Pilot did not get any warning. There were no
indications in the cockpit and the aircraft was out of
control," the IAF chief told agency here.
He said the pilot "tried his best to control the aircraft
for 15-20 minutes" before ejecting out along with the Weapon
Systems Operator (WSO).
Wing Commander G S Sohal was the pilot of the aircraft
with Flight Lieutenant U Nautiyal as his WSO.
The first Su-30MKI which had crashed over Rajasthan in
2009 also faced problems in its fly-by wire system.
Asked if the recent air crash was also due to the similar
problem, the IAF chief said that was a "different issue".
The ill-fated Su-30 had taken off from Pune`s Lohegaon
air base at 1240 hours and crashed soon after near Wade Bolhai
village there at 1310 hours on Tuesday.
Browne said reports about the grounding of the aircraft
were "not correct" as after proper checks, the whole fleet
will start flying from Monday.
IAF has a fleet of around 120 such aircraft deployed at
different locations in Pune, Bareilly, Tezpur, Chabua and
Jodhpur and have remained on ground since Tuesday.
Browne said an expert team from Russia, which is the
original manufacturer of the combat aircraft, has arrived in
the country today and will help in addressing the issue.
India had procured the aircraft from Russia in the 90s
and since their induction in 1997, only three mishaps have
occurred. After the mishap, the Defence Ministry said that it
was surprised over the crash of one of its frontline Sukhoi-30
MKI fighter aircraft, which are the latest and most-advanced
war planes in IAF inventory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata