Sukhram shifted to hospital again
New Delhi: Former Union Minister Sukhram, who
surrendered before a local court yesterday which sent him to
jail to serve his three-year sentence in 1993 telecom scam
case, has again been shifted to ICU of a city hospital.
According to the Deputy Inspector General of Tihar
Prisons, RN Sharma, the condition of the 86-year-old ailing
former minister had "deteriorated" and on advice of the Tihar
jail hospital doctors, he was admitted to the ICU of Deen
Dayal Upadhyay hospital on Saturday afternoon.
"He has multiple ailments and the prisons hospital is not
equipped to treat his present condition. So after he was
brought to the jail yesterday at around 1.30 PM, we had to
shift him to the hospital on the advice of our own doctors,"
The Supreme Court is likely to hear his bail plea
The former minister who was convicted in the 1993 telecom
scam case was asked by the Delhi High Court to surrender
before a trial court to undergo three years jail term.
The veteran politician moved the Supreme Court which
refused to hear his appeal and said that his plea would be
entertained only after he surrenders.
When directed by the apex court to surrender before the
trial court, his counsel had expressed his inability to do so
on medical grounds stating that Sukhram was in coma.
He was admitted to the Metro Heart Institute on December
31, 2011 after he complained of severe chest pain. But doctors
at the Institute declared on January 6 that he was not in a
state of coma and his condition is stable. The former minister
then surrendered before the trial court which sent him to
Tihar jail yesterday afternoon.
Sharma said, "After he was brought to jail, doctors
suggested that his condition was not at all right and needed
immediate medical attention."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users