Supreme Court gets three new judges
New Delhi: Chief Justices of three High Courts were on Saturday elevated as judges of the Supreme Court, increasing the strength of the apex court to 28.
Chief Justice of Madras High Court Justice M Yusuf Eqbal, Chief Justice of Orissa High Court Justice Venkategowda and Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court Justice Vikramjit Sen were today appointed as judges of the Supreme Court, in that order of seniority.
Their appointments will come into effect from the date they assume charge of their respective office, a Law Ministry statement said here.
At present, including the Chief Justice of India, the Supreme Court has 25 judges against the sanctioned strength of 31. After the three new judges take over, the strength will go up to 28.
Justice Eqbal (61) started practice in 1975 in civil court of Ranchi and specialised in civil law.
In 2003, he was nominated as one of the members of Ravi and Beas Water Tribunal to settle the water dispute among Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan.
Justice Venkategowda (61) was elevated as judge of Karnataka High Court in June, 1997 and as Chief Justice of Orissa High Court in March, 2010.
Justice Sen (62) practiced in all the courts in Delhi, primarily in the High Court of Delhi. He handled civil, arbitration and commercial disputes.
He was appointed Permanent Judge in October, 2000. He assumed office as Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court in December 2011.
When the Supreme Court collegium had recommended the three names for elevation, the government had flagged certain issues and had sent back the file.
But the collegium, headed by the CJI, had reiterated its recommendation. As per the present system, once the collegium reiterates its stand, government has to appoint the judges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?