Supreme Court gets three new judges
New Delhi: Chief Justices of three High Courts were on Saturday elevated as judges of the Supreme Court, increasing the strength of the apex court to 28.
Chief Justice of Madras High Court Justice M Yusuf Eqbal, Chief Justice of Orissa High Court Justice Venkategowda and Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court Justice Vikramjit Sen were today appointed as judges of the Supreme Court, in that order of seniority.
Their appointments will come into effect from the date they assume charge of their respective office, a Law Ministry statement said here.
At present, including the Chief Justice of India, the Supreme Court has 25 judges against the sanctioned strength of 31. After the three new judges take over, the strength will go up to 28.
Justice Eqbal (61) started practice in 1975 in civil court of Ranchi and specialised in civil law.
In 2003, he was nominated as one of the members of Ravi and Beas Water Tribunal to settle the water dispute among Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan.
Justice Venkategowda (61) was elevated as judge of Karnataka High Court in June, 1997 and as Chief Justice of Orissa High Court in March, 2010.
Justice Sen (62) practiced in all the courts in Delhi, primarily in the High Court of Delhi. He handled civil, arbitration and commercial disputes.
He was appointed Permanent Judge in October, 2000. He assumed office as Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court in December 2011.
When the Supreme Court collegium had recommended the three names for elevation, the government had flagged certain issues and had sent back the file.
But the collegium, headed by the CJI, had reiterated its recommendation. As per the present system, once the collegium reiterates its stand, government has to appoint the judges.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!