Supreme Court to get three new law officers
New Delhi: The government`s legal team in the Supreme Court is likely to be strengthened in the coming days with the Law Ministry clearing the way for induction of three new law officers.
Sources in the ministry said the names of Siddhartha Luthra, Rakesh Khanna and A S Chandhiok have been cleared for the post of Additional Solicitor General (ASG).
While Luthra and Khanna are new incumbents, Chandhiok is at present ASG in the Delhi High Court.
The Appoint Committee of Cabinet headed by the Prime Minister will clear their appointments.
Indira Jai Singh, Mohan Jain, Harin Raval, P P Malhotra, Gaurab Banerjee, Mohan Parasharan and Biswajit Bhattacharya will continue as ASGs.
The term of most of the law officers is coming to an end next month.
The fresh appointments come against the backdrop of the resignation of Vivek Tankha and Parag Tripathi recently as ASGs. They had requested the government to relieve them of their responsibility.
It is learnt that Parasharan too was not interested in continuing, but Law Minister Salman Khurshid persuaded him to continue for another term.
Attorney General G E Vahanvati, whose term was ending this month, was recently given a fresh two-year stint by the government.
Meanwhile, the name of Ravi Mehra has been cleared for the post of ASG in the Delhi High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof