Supreme Court to get three new law officers
New Delhi: The government`s legal team in the Supreme Court is likely to be strengthened in the coming days with the Law Ministry clearing the way for induction of three new law officers.
Sources in the ministry said the names of Siddhartha Luthra, Rakesh Khanna and A S Chandhiok have been cleared for the post of Additional Solicitor General (ASG).
While Luthra and Khanna are new incumbents, Chandhiok is at present ASG in the Delhi High Court.
The Appoint Committee of Cabinet headed by the Prime Minister will clear their appointments.
Indira Jai Singh, Mohan Jain, Harin Raval, P P Malhotra, Gaurab Banerjee, Mohan Parasharan and Biswajit Bhattacharya will continue as ASGs.
The term of most of the law officers is coming to an end next month.
The fresh appointments come against the backdrop of the resignation of Vivek Tankha and Parag Tripathi recently as ASGs. They had requested the government to relieve them of their responsibility.
It is learnt that Parasharan too was not interested in continuing, but Law Minister Salman Khurshid persuaded him to continue for another term.
Attorney General G E Vahanvati, whose term was ending this month, was recently given a fresh two-year stint by the government.
Meanwhile, the name of Ravi Mehra has been cleared for the post of ASG in the Delhi High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic