Suspected Hizbul militant Liyaqat Shah sent to JC till May 13
New Delhi: Suspected Hizbul militant Liyaqat Shah was today remanded in judicial custody till May 13 by a Delhi court after the National Investigation Agency (NIA) said that he was not required for further custodial interrogation.
Shah was arrested by the special cell of Delhi Police on March 20 in connection with a case registered against him for allegedly conspiring to carry out terror attacks in the national capital.
During an in-chamber hearing, Shah was produced before District Judge I S Mehta after expiry of five days NIA custody and the agency said the accused should be remanded to judicial custody as he was not required for any further interrogation, court sources said.
"Accused (Shah) be sent to judicial custody till May 13, 2013," the court said.
The court had on April 26 allowed the agency`s plea and remanded Shah in NIA`s custody for five days after the investigators had said that they need to take Shah to Sunauli border, one of India-Nepal crossing points near Gorakhpur, from where he was allegedly arrested.
The court, while remanding Shah to judicial custody, asked Tihar Jail authorities to provide him the medicines which have been prescribed to him by the doctors during his treatment.
45-year-old Shah had earlier alleged in the court that he had been beaten up and tortured by the officials of special cell of Delhi Police during his custody following his arrest.
The Home Ministry had on March 28 issued a notification facilitating NIA to take over the case related to Shah after his arrest had generated conflicting versions from Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir police.
On April 2, NIA was allowed by the court to interrogate Shah in Tihar Jail till April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook