Suspected Hizbul militant Liyaqat Shah sent to JC till May 13
New Delhi: Suspected Hizbul militant Liyaqat Shah was today remanded in judicial custody till May 13 by a Delhi court after the National Investigation Agency (NIA) said that he was not required for further custodial interrogation.
Shah was arrested by the special cell of Delhi Police on March 20 in connection with a case registered against him for allegedly conspiring to carry out terror attacks in the national capital.
During an in-chamber hearing, Shah was produced before District Judge I S Mehta after expiry of five days NIA custody and the agency said the accused should be remanded to judicial custody as he was not required for any further interrogation, court sources said.
"Accused (Shah) be sent to judicial custody till May 13, 2013," the court said.
The court had on April 26 allowed the agency`s plea and remanded Shah in NIA`s custody for five days after the investigators had said that they need to take Shah to Sunauli border, one of India-Nepal crossing points near Gorakhpur, from where he was allegedly arrested.
The court, while remanding Shah to judicial custody, asked Tihar Jail authorities to provide him the medicines which have been prescribed to him by the doctors during his treatment.
45-year-old Shah had earlier alleged in the court that he had been beaten up and tortured by the officials of special cell of Delhi Police during his custody following his arrest.
The Home Ministry had on March 28 issued a notification facilitating NIA to take over the case related to Shah after his arrest had generated conflicting versions from Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir police.
On April 2, NIA was allowed by the court to interrogate Shah in Tihar Jail till April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside