Suspend peace talks with Pakistan: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday demanded suspension of peace talks with Pakistan but disfavoured snapping diplomatic ties in the wake of the brutal killing of two Indian soldiers on the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir.
"We should tell Pakistan that we will not talk till you implement the agreements signed so far. But at the same time, we will not sever the diplomatic ties," BJP leader Yashwant Sinha told reporters here.
He admitted that the NDA government, led by then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, had also perhaps committed the "mistake" by engaging the neighbour in talks.
Sinha, who was External Affairs Minister in the NDA government, said Pakistan could not be trusted even on agreements it signs with India and should be treated as an "enemy" for breaching accords.
"Every government thinks that it can talk sweetly with Pakistan but forgets that it (Pakistan) is being controlled by its military which wants to maintain its enmity with us," he said, adding "may be we also committed the same mistake".
At the party briefing, BJP spokesman Shahnawaz Hussain referred to reports of alleged 26/11 Mumbai attack perpetrator Hafiz Saeed`s presence along the LoC when the Indian soldiers were killed.
"Talks have no meaning till Pakistan hands over Hafiz Saeed to India. We want Hafiz Saeed alive," Hussain said.
He referred to the January 2004 agreement with Pakistan when then Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee had visited Islamabad.
"Then Pakistan had agreed that it will not allow its land or land within its control to be used for promoting violence against India. Pakistan has also violated this agreement," Hussain said.
The BJP spokesman said the government should understand the sentiments of the people before going ahead with talks with Pakistan.
"The government should put pressure on Pakistan. Their cricket team came here and played but this despicable game of their team of terrorists should stop immediately," he said.
On remarks by Congress leaders asking BJP to refrain from politicising the killing of soldiers, Hussain said politics was a medium to convey the sentiments of the people to the government
"Does the expression of anguish and anger against Pakistan hurt Congress? Does it want to tell us not to protest at the Pakistan High Commission? Does Congress consider politics as bad?" he said.
Replying to questions, Hussain condemned the reported meeting of Kashmiri separatist leaders with Jamaat ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed and Syed Salahuddin.
"It is unfortunate that separatist leaders have met Hafiz Saeed. BJP condemns its. We cannot tolerate any Indian meeting persons who are wanted in the country," the BJP spokesman said.
To questions on the hike in rail fares, Hussain said price rise has followed to whichever ministry Congress has ventured into.
"Neither does this government care for (rail) budget nor Parliament. People felt that railways was one area where despite shortcomings on service at least the prices were not increased," he said.
On Naxals stuffing the body of a CRPF jawan with explosives, Hussain wondered where the "so-called" human rights activists were.
"Why are human rights activists not condemning this action? Are the rights of security personnel not covered under human rights," the BJP spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India