Suu Kyi to meet Salman Khurshid today
New Delhi: Myanmar`s opposition leader and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi will meet External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Thursday, on day 3 of her visit to India.
On Wednesday, the pro-democracy leader Kyi on Wednesday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and discussed the process of national reconciliation and democratisation in her country.
She also noted that while New Delhi had once "drawn away" from the struggle for democracy in Myanmar, she hoped that India will now stand by her in "the last difficult phase" ahead.
Suu Kyi’s six-day visit to India, where she studied, is her first visit to the country in a quarter century.
India has rolled out the red carpet for Myanmar`s pro-democracy icon - part of diplomatic outreach to build across-the-spectrum linkages with the energy-rich Southeast Asian country which has embraced democratic reforms after decades of the all-powerful junta rule.
On Friday, Suu Kyi will visit the Lady Shriram College, or LSR, as the college is known, to meet the principal, students and faculty.
"The college will felicitate her and try to make her feel good and nostalgic," Veena Ravikumar, an associate professor at the LSR`s political science department, said.
"She will meet final year students of the political science department. We will present a little programme," she added.
"Two of my students will interview her for the department journal," she added.
One of Suu Kyi`s cloest friends from her younger days, Malavika Karlekar, has described the Myanmar leader as a "quiet, obedient girl with a great flair for creating writing".
She lived with her mother Aung San or Daw Khin Kyi as she was known on 24, Akbar Road, which is now the Congress party headquarters.
Her mother had been named the ambassador to India and Nepal in 1960.
The young woman, who later battled the Myanmar military junta, did her schooling here at the Convent of Jesus and Mary before joining LSR, one of Delhi`s most reputed colleges.
For higher education, she moved to St Hugh`s College at Oxford. She was also a Fellow for two years at the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla. Over the years, she came to be influenced by Mahatma Gandhi and Buddhist thoughts.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced