Suu Kyi to reach India on Diwali
New Delhi: After nearly a gap of 40 years, Myanmar`s opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi will travel to India on November 13 at the invitation of UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
"The visit of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi would be part of our ongoing engagement with the democratic and multi-party polity in Myanmar. It would provide opportunity to exchange views on all matters of mutual interest with a view to building upon the positive momentum in India-Myanmar relations," official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said.
Suu Kyi, who will be in the country for nearly a week, will deliver the prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Lecture in here on November 14.
"It would be recalled Daw Aung San Suu Kyi had accepted the invitation from Sonia Gandhi in her capacity as Chairperson of Nehru Memorial Fund to deliver the Nehru Memorial Lecture when she met the Prime Minister during his visit to Myanmar in May 2012," the spokesperson said. Suu Kyi was also given the Jawaharlal Nehru award for international understanding in 1992.
During her stay, Suu Kyi will visit her alma mater, Lady Sri Ram College, where she will interact with the faculty and students.
Besides her engagements in Delhi, she will be travelling to Bangalore where she will visit the Indian Institute of Science and the Infosys Campus. She is also scheduled to tour rural areas in Andhra Pradesh to gain a firsthand impression of the rural development and women`s empowerment programmes being undertaken in India.
Suu Kyi spent several years in India during her early days when her mother Daw Khin Yi was Ambassador to India. She also spent some time as a Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Study in Shimla in 1987.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore