Swamy accuses Cong of belittling Mamata
New Delhi: Accusing Congress of belittling Mamata Banerjee, Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy on Thursday said she has done justice by making public the Congress preferences for the next President.
"For too long the nation has tolerated the Congress mentality of subterfuge and secrecy," he said in a statement.
Swamy praised the Trinamool chief for disclosing the Congress preferences after yesterday`s meeting with Sonia Gandhi.
"Ms (Mamata) Banerjee has done justice by revealing the sneaky name peddling by Sonia Gandhi to humiliate Pranab Mukherjee. Now the cat is out of the bag for which nation thanks Mamataji," he said.
The Janata Party chief said it was ridiculous for "discredited Congress leaders to try and decry Banerjee disclosing the names of possible Congress nominees."
Lauding the mercurial leader, Swamy said Banerjee has earned her political spurs by uprooting the Communists from West Bengal which Congress could not do. Instead they won seats with her help.
"Instead of showing gratitude and reverence, they now want to belittle her," Swamy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win