Swamy slams DMK chief for remarks on Indo-Sri Lankan relations
New Delhi: Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy today condemned DMK chief M Karunanidhi for his "outrageous" remarks against Indo-Sri Lanka relations at a pro-Eelam TESO meet.
Swamy said Karunanidhi has expressed the view that Tamils are being subjected to "genocide in Sri Lanka because of Sinhalaisation".
"This is ridiculous since both Sinhala and the Tamil people originally came from India and are the same people as recent DNA genetic study shows," he said in a statement.
"Therefore, Sri Lanka`s unity can be promoted of Tamils Sinhalise and Sinhala community Tamilise, that is, both the communities should nationalise their outlook to come closer."
In his speech at a conclave preceding the main event yesterday, Karunanidhi, who is seeking to inject life into the defunct TESO founded by him in the 1980s, had alleged the Sri Lankan army was running a "state of Emergency" in Tamil areas.
The DMK patriarch had said the plight of Sri Lankan Tamils was linked with human rights and dignity, which required short-term, medium-term and long-term solutions.
The long-term solution has to be a political one, he had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory