Swamy slams DMK chief for remarks on Indo-Sri Lankan relations
New Delhi: Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy today condemned DMK chief M Karunanidhi for his "outrageous" remarks against Indo-Sri Lanka relations at a pro-Eelam TESO meet.
Swamy said Karunanidhi has expressed the view that Tamils are being subjected to "genocide in Sri Lanka because of Sinhalaisation".
"This is ridiculous since both Sinhala and the Tamil people originally came from India and are the same people as recent DNA genetic study shows," he said in a statement.
"Therefore, Sri Lanka`s unity can be promoted of Tamils Sinhalise and Sinhala community Tamilise, that is, both the communities should nationalise their outlook to come closer."
In his speech at a conclave preceding the main event yesterday, Karunanidhi, who is seeking to inject life into the defunct TESO founded by him in the 1980s, had alleged the Sri Lankan army was running a "state of Emergency" in Tamil areas.
The DMK patriarch had said the plight of Sri Lankan Tamils was linked with human rights and dignity, which required short-term, medium-term and long-term solutions.
The long-term solution has to be a political one, he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31