Swamy slams DMK chief for remarks on Indo-Sri Lankan relations
New Delhi: Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy today condemned DMK chief M Karunanidhi for his "outrageous" remarks against Indo-Sri Lanka relations at a pro-Eelam TESO meet.
Swamy said Karunanidhi has expressed the view that Tamils are being subjected to "genocide in Sri Lanka because of Sinhalaisation".
"This is ridiculous since both Sinhala and the Tamil people originally came from India and are the same people as recent DNA genetic study shows," he said in a statement.
"Therefore, Sri Lanka`s unity can be promoted of Tamils Sinhalise and Sinhala community Tamilise, that is, both the communities should nationalise their outlook to come closer."
In his speech at a conclave preceding the main event yesterday, Karunanidhi, who is seeking to inject life into the defunct TESO founded by him in the 1980s, had alleged the Sri Lankan army was running a "state of Emergency" in Tamil areas.
The DMK patriarch had said the plight of Sri Lankan Tamils was linked with human rights and dignity, which required short-term, medium-term and long-term solutions.
The long-term solution has to be a political one, he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’