Swamy welcomes fresh expose in 2G scam case
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy on Tuesday welcomed the latest disclosure in the 2G spectrum case that reveals that the CBI suspects its own prosecutor of aiding the accused, and said that it has given a huge boost to the prosecution case itself instead of the opposite.
"I think what has happened is that it has given a huge boost to the prosecution case itself instead of the opposite because this was happening, there was internal sabotage we knew that. And in Chidambaram case, I could see it blatantly that there was sabotage from the CBI," said Swamy.
"And now, we have information that it is the CBI, which conducted the sting operation. So, there is hope that the honest elements in the CBI will now dominate and we will proceed and get to the root of the matter. And I think this corruption case goes all the way to the top and one by one we will now proceed further," he added.
A Parliament panel will today examine the CBI`s allegation that its lawyer in the 2G case was colluding with a representative of one of the companies accused of criminal conspiracy and cheating to land an out-of-turn mobile network license in 2008 from then Telecom Minister A. Raja.
The CBI has confirmed that it has removed its prosecutor, AK Singh, based on audiotapes that purportedly reveal him advising Unitech Managing Director Sanjay Chandra on his legal strategy.
Chandra along with Raja and 12 others have been charged with conspiracy, forgery and cheating in the 2G case.
Raja is accused of tinkering with procedure and policy to help Unitech and other companies to get the 2G licences. They are also charged with benefiting Unitech to make windfall gains by selling stakes at a premium to Telenor.
The trial is currently in the court of O.P. Saini in Delhi`s Patiala House. The case is being tried by a special CBI court in Delhi and the Supreme Court is monitoring the CBI`s investigations.
Former Telecom Minister Raja was forced to resign from the Union Cabinet after a report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) faulted him for undervaluing spectrum to favour companies who were largely ineligible for 2G spectrum, and added that the government had probably lost Rs.1.76 lakh crore in estimated revenue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared