Tahrir Square hero to address India Internet Day
New Delhi: Waleed Rashed, hero of the massive protests at Tahrir Square that ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, will address delegates at the second India Internet Day (IID) here April 26.
The IID, held under the auspices of The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE) Delhi - National Capital Region chapter, will bring together net geeks, e-commerce strategists, venture capitalists and hundreds of aspiring internet start-ups, according to a TiE statement.
Rashed, 30, was one of the founders of the non-violent April 6 Youth Movement, an Egyptian Facebook group that started in 2008 to support workers in an industrial town who were planning to strike.
The page quickly acquired more than 70,000 followers. The activists used blogs, social media and text messaging to catalyse the uprising against Mubarak.
Senior business leaders from global companies such as Adobe, Flytxt, Google, Microsoft and Vodafone will share their insights and experiences with the delegates.
Shashi Tharoor, the minister of state for human resource development, and Raghuram Rajan, chief economic adviser to the Indian government, will also be among the keynote speakers.
TiE, founded in 1992 in Silicon Valley, has over 13,000 members across 15 countries. Its mission is to foster entrepreneurship globally through mentoring, networking and education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31