Tahrir Square hero to address India Internet Day
New Delhi: Waleed Rashed, hero of the massive protests at Tahrir Square that ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, will address delegates at the second India Internet Day (IID) here April 26.
The IID, held under the auspices of The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE) Delhi - National Capital Region chapter, will bring together net geeks, e-commerce strategists, venture capitalists and hundreds of aspiring internet start-ups, according to a TiE statement.
Rashed, 30, was one of the founders of the non-violent April 6 Youth Movement, an Egyptian Facebook group that started in 2008 to support workers in an industrial town who were planning to strike.
The page quickly acquired more than 70,000 followers. The activists used blogs, social media and text messaging to catalyse the uprising against Mubarak.
Senior business leaders from global companies such as Adobe, Flytxt, Google, Microsoft and Vodafone will share their insights and experiences with the delegates.
Shashi Tharoor, the minister of state for human resource development, and Raghuram Rajan, chief economic adviser to the Indian government, will also be among the keynote speakers.
TiE, founded in 1992 in Silicon Valley, has over 13,000 members across 15 countries. Its mission is to foster entrepreneurship globally through mentoring, networking and education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India