Tariq Anwar to be sworn in as Union Minister: NCP
New Delhi: NCP leader Tariq Anwar will take oath as a Union Minister when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reshuffles his Council of Ministers on Sunday.
This was disclosed by NCP General Secretary D P Tripathi.
Anwar is expected to replace Agatha Sangma as the NCP representative in the Union Council of Ministers, party sources said.
The NCP leader is likely to be made Minister of State for Agriculture, working directly under Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, who is also the NCP chief.
Anwar is a two-time Rajya Sabha member and was a four-term member of Lok Sabha from Katihar in Bihar.
Agatha had been asked to tender her resignation as minister by the NCP leadership in the wake of her father P A Sangma`s unsuccessful bid in the Presidential election.
Sangma was the Opposition-backed candidate against the UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee in the July 19 Presidential election. NCP is a key partner in the UPA.
Anwar will be the only representative from the UPA allies to be sworn in as a minister as DMK has ruled out nominating its members for the vacancies in the Union Cabinet.
A Raja and Dayanidhi Maran had to quit as Telecom and Textiles Ministers respectively in the wake of their names figuring in the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
Trinamool Congress, another key partner in the UPA, walked out of the ruling alliance following sharp differences on its economic policies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened