Team Anna cannot be alternative to BJP: Gadkari
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Nitin Gadkari on Friday welcomed Anna Hazare and his team`s announcement to enter the political arena but stressed that it could not become an alternative to his party.
In an interview to a news channel, Gadkari said the BJP supports "anyone who`s against corruption, be it Anna Hazare or Baba Ramdev. If Anna seeks our support, we will help".
He said Team Anna could not become an alternative to the BJP but the Congress could.
He also said his party did not face any threat from this new group.
To a question whether all was well with the National Democratic Alliance, which his party heads, especially with Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Nitish Kumar taking a different stand on various issues, Gadkari said NDA was "intact". He added that he was confident that Nitish Kumar would stay with the coalition.
Hazare and his team members Thursday announced they were calling off their indefinite fast on Friday at 5 pm and proposed forming a political alternative.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon