Team Anna demands law to protect whistelblowers
New Delhi: Team Anna today demanded enactment
of a stringent law to protect whistleblowers and asked
government to ensure adequate security for those fighting
against corruption after a 30-year-old IPS officer was
brutally killed allegedly by mining mafia in Madhya Pradesh.
"Strong whistleblower protection law is needed, not the
one presented by the UPA government. The government`s law
seeks to protect the corrupt and victimise the
whistleblowers...No more of routine condolence statements from
some ministers needed," Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal
"Can`t the government ensure that no more such people
would be killed now," he said.
The IPS officer, Narendra Kumar Singh, was mowed
down by a tractor-trolley, being driven by an alleged member
of the mining mafia, when he tried to stop the vehicle
carrying stones in Morena district of Madhya Pradesh
Singh, a 2009-batch officer, was posted in Banmore as Sub
Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) a month ago and had taken
on the mining mafia by seizing number of trucks and tractors
engaged in illegal quarrying.
"So many killed in the last few years fighting
corruption. When will this stop? System supports corrupt
people and victimises those fighting them," he said.
Another Team Anna member Kiran Bedi also condemned the
incident and said, "Corrupt politician-politicised bureaucracy
and weak police leadership creates life threatening crime
situations for brave young IPS entrants."
In the fight against crime, she said that young IPS
officers do not enjoy support of their own department and are
left to fend for themselves. PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh