Team Anna downgrading Parliament: Thackeray
Mumbai: Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray on Thursday accused Team Anna of trying to downgrade Parliament by putting pressure on it to get the Lokpal bill passed and insisted that the institution ought to be respected.
"To what extent will you go to downgrade Parliament,
elected by the people. Are you not going to respect the
integrity of this institution?" he wrote in the editorial of
party mouthpiece `Saamna`.
Acknowledging that the menace of corruption has seeped
into the system, Thackeray, however, said it was wrong to
"usurp the system".
He said people flock to anti-corruption rallies but
when the time comes to cast their vote, they set aside the
issue of corruption.
"This tendency of people was once again evident in the
just-concluded municipal council polls in Maharashtra. People
voted for money power. What do people in the anti-corruption
movement have to say about this," he asked apparently
referring to Congress-NCP victories in municipal council polls
in the state, including Anna Hazare`s native Ahmednagar.
Thackeray said existing laws in the country, if
implemented strictly, are sufficient to nip corruption in the
"More than a Lokpal, we need a hangman to execute
Afzal Guru, convicted in Parliament attack case. Not honouring
the verdict of the court regarding hanging of Afzal Guru is
also a type of corruption," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo