Telangana issue difficult, not insurmountable: PM
On Board Air India One: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday said there was no question of any government inaction on the Telangana issue and while a solution was not impossible there were no quick answers either.
"There is no inaction. Efforts are being made to find a solution that will bring about a broad based consensus among all the various stakeholders," the Prime Minister told journalists onboard his special aircraft.
"There are difficulties in arriving at quick decisions. There is a long history of the Telangana movement. It is not a new movement. It has been there since the mid-1950s," he said.
"Given the complications involved in settlement, it will take some time. That`s why we have been engaged in widespread dialogue and discussions with all the stakeholders," he added.
"It is our hope that out of that will emerge a solution which is a win-win situation for all concerned," he said, while returning from Pretoria after attending the 5th India-Brazil-South Africa Summit.
There have been widespread protests over demands for a separate Telangana state to be carved out of Andhra Pradesh, with opinion also split both ways.
To a different question, the prime minister said the establishment of a states` reorganization commission has been under discussion for several years but that his government had not taken a view on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested