Tharoor rues delay in passage of higher education bills
New Delhi: The delay in passage of crucial bills on higher education including one on research and innovation was due to repeated adjournments of Parliament, Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor on Thursday said while expressing concern over low spending in R&D.
"Unfortunately this bill (The Universities for Research and Innovation Bill, 2012) has been a victim of the disfunctionality of the Parliament where those who believe in disruption rather than debate, have ensured that this and many other higher education bills have not even been discussed," he told a function here.
According to him, the passage of this bill is crucial to spur research and development activities in the country where investment in research is only at about 2 per cent of the GDP.
"I do not know when it is going to happen (passage of this bill) and if it is going to happen. The groundwork has been done, they just need to be debated and voted upon in Parliament," he said at the global R&D Summit 2013- destination India`.
The bill entails setting up of 14 innovation universities through public and private funding.
Noting that under-funding is hampering the scientific community in the country, he said the answer lies in keeping the "researchers here with the same resources that they go out to seek".
He also stressed on a "friendly" intellectual property regime for innovators and researchers.
Universities must also look to upgrade basic standards of research. Research institutes must be made accountable maintaining standards, he said.
Principal Scientific Adviser R Chidambaram harped on the importance of strengthening basic research for building on technology and manufacturing.
"You cannot create a super structure of technology and manufacturing without a sound foundation of basic research. You must have manufacturing skills along with R&D skills. It is one field were have lagged behind over the decade," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH