Thirteen TN fishermen arrested by Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Thirteen fishermen from Tamil Nadu have been arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly poaching in Lankan territorial waters.
The fishermen, hailing from Akkaraipettai in Nagapattinam district, had put to sea in two mechanised boats when they were arrested last night and taken to Trincomalee police station, official sources said today.
Earlier, the Lankan navalmen had allegedly hurled a bomb but it missed the target and the fishermen escaped, fisheries department officials said.
Meanwhile, some 442 fishermen, who had gone near Katchatheevu, an islet ceded by India to Sri Lanka under an agreement in 1974, for fishing turned back after they were allegedly stopped by Lankan navalmen.
Thirteen fishermen were arrested by Lankan naval personnel in November last year. While five fishermen were arrested by the Lankan Navy on November 28 and later imprisoned on drug smuggling charges, another four were held on January 3 and
an equal number two days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH