Thirteen TN fishermen arrested by Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Thirteen fishermen from Tamil Nadu have been arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly poaching in Lankan territorial waters.
The fishermen, hailing from Akkaraipettai in Nagapattinam district, had put to sea in two mechanised boats when they were arrested last night and taken to Trincomalee police station, official sources said today.
Earlier, the Lankan navalmen had allegedly hurled a bomb but it missed the target and the fishermen escaped, fisheries department officials said.
Meanwhile, some 442 fishermen, who had gone near Katchatheevu, an islet ceded by India to Sri Lanka under an agreement in 1974, for fishing turned back after they were allegedly stopped by Lankan navalmen.
Thirteen fishermen were arrested by Lankan naval personnel in November last year. While five fishermen were arrested by the Lankan Navy on November 28 and later imprisoned on drug smuggling charges, another four were held on January 3 and
an equal number two days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police