Three arrested in Baby Falak case

Three people have been arrested by the Delhi Police in the case relating to battered baby Falak, police said.

New Delhi: Three people have been arrested by the Delhi Police in the case relating to battered baby Falak, police said Wednesday as the two-year-old continued to battle for life with doctors diagnosing blood infection apart from the existing infection in her chest and brain.

"Sandeep, his wife Pooja and Jitendra Kumar Gupta, the father of the teenage girl Mahi who brought Falak to the hospital have been arrested," Additional Commissioner of Police (southeast) Ajay Chaudhary told reporters here. Pooja is a human trafficker and Sandeep her husband.

However, it was not clear if any of them were responsible for grievously injuring the baby as police refused to comment citing that many more people were involved in the case and answering the question might hurt investigations.

According to police, Mahi used to be assaulted at home by Jitendra and she finally ran away in June 2011 and was missing since.

She then came in touch with Pooja who would often visit her father Jitendra at their home.

Pooja then took Mahi to Etah (Uttar Pradesh) and forced her to marry an aged man. Upon refusing, Mahi was repeatedly raped by Pooja`s husband Sandeep.
They later brought her to Delhi and forced her into sex trade in Munirka area of south Delhi. It was here that she met the key accused in the case Raj Kumar Gupta, who married her.

Asked about who inflicted the grievous injuries on the baby, Chaudhary said: "We cannot comment on who hit the baby as of now."

Falak was brought to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Jan 18 with severe head injuries and bite marks all over her face by Mahi who got the baby from her husband Raj Kumar before heading to Mumbai.

Raj Kumar got the baby from Laxmi who after being questioned by police revealed that she in fact got the baby from Munni the biological mother of Falak who claimed that she and the baby had been abandoned by her husband last year.

According to doctors at AIIMS, Falak had developed blood infection apart from the already existing brain and chest infection and continues to remain critical.
"Brain infection is a very devastating thing, her chances of survival are now less than 50 percent. We are waiting for the culture reports to decide if there will be any change in the course of treatment," Deepak Agrawal, associate professor of neurosurgery at the AIIMS Trauma Centre, told reporters adding that it was a race against time to save the toddler.

Currently on ventilator, Falak opens her eyes and blinks but remains in deep coma. According to the team of doctors monitoring her condition, in spite of many infections, the baby`s vital organs are functioning properly.

Earlier in the day, doctors put a tube in the baby`s spine to drain the infected fluid.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link