Time for younger generation to take over BJP’s reins: Manohar Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar,
who had once courted controversy by indicating that politicians should retire at the age of 65, on Sunday said there was nothing called as era in BJP and it was time for younger generation to take over the party`s reins.
"There is nothing called era in the BJP but I feel it is the time for younger generation to take over the reins of the party," Parrikar said minutes after Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s name was announced to head the party`s poll campaign.
"This is an important day for India. When we say Congress is indecisive and does not act, we should set up a precedent by deciding in time. The best precedent we set was deciding in time about electing Modi," Parrikar reacted.
"Indecisiveness by Congress was clearly destroying the country. Today`s decision by BJP is a clear signal that India is ready for a change," the chief minister said.
The Goa chief minister has been publicly supporting Modi to be the Prime Ministerial candidate of the party for forthcoming Lok Sabha elections. Parrikar in a recent interview had indirectly taken a dig at senior leader L K Advani when he said that at the age of 65 a politician should retire.
To a question, he said, "We can say Goa is lucky for BJP."
He said the party now will have to set the time table for the campaign as Assembly elections for five states are scheduled in November.
"If we have to win the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, we will have to win the election in five states," the chief minister, who rode the party to victory in 2012 Goa Assembly polls, said.
"If not win, at least we will have to improve our position in the states which are going to polls," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan