Top Naxal leader Sudarshan behind attack in Chhattisgarh: Reports
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Even as the National Investigation Agency (NIA) began its probe in the attack on Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh, reports trickled in that Katakam Sudarshan, a central member of the CPI-Maoist, was the brain behind it.
As per reports, Sudarshan led a team of around 150 Naxals which attacked the convoy of Congress leaders and workers on May 25.
It is also being said that the Intelligence Bureau had sent an alert that Sudarshan was active in the region and may be planning something. However, the warning was not specific in nature.
The decision to give a go ahead to the NIA to probe in the Maoist attack in the state was taken by Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde after Chief Minister Raman Singh gave the green signal.
Shinde had said yesterday that he has asked Union Home Secretary RK Singh to proceed accordingly in the matter. Shinde said he has briefed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh about the decision to hand over the investigation to NIA.
Following this a high-level team of officials of anti-terror agency NIA today reached the Naxal attack site in Chhattisgarh and began its probe to find out possible lapses on the part of the central forces or the state government.
Heavily-armed Maoists had ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district, killing 27 people including Congress leader Mahendra Karma, PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel, his son Dinesh and ex-MLA Uday Mudliyar and injuring 32 others, including former union minister VC Shukla.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'