Total political support to all-girl rock band `positive`: Tewari
New Delhi: The Centre today said one positive thing that emerged from the episode of threats to Kashmir`s all-girl rock band was that the entire political spectrum had backed them and hoped freedom of speech and expression will be allowed to flourish in its entirety.
"In this entire episode, one positive thing that has emerged is that in Jammu and Kashmir`s political landscape, all political parties have supported the girls and their band and encouraged them," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told reporters here.
"We do hope that this support will persevere and the freedom of speech and expression will be allowed to flourish in its entirety," he further said.
The I&B Minister said that for a strong democracy, the freedom to right and speak is applicable to everyone and cannot be compromised.
Earlier, activists, filmmakers and others had come out in support of Kashmir`s first all-girls rock band which faced online threats and abuses.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has ordered a police probe and hoped the talented teenagers will not let themselves be silenced by a "handful of morons".
The girls, vocalist-guitarist Noma Nazir (16), drummer Farah Deeba and guitarist Aneeka Khalid (both 15), who defied convention to form the rock band "Pragaash" (darkness to light), have stopped live shows in the wake of the online threats to them.
There has been widespread outrage at the online hate campaign against the girls, all students of Class X.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer