Total political support to all-girl rock band `positive`: Tewari
New Delhi: The Centre today said one positive thing that emerged from the episode of threats to Kashmir`s all-girl rock band was that the entire political spectrum had backed them and hoped freedom of speech and expression will be allowed to flourish in its entirety.
"In this entire episode, one positive thing that has emerged is that in Jammu and Kashmir`s political landscape, all political parties have supported the girls and their band and encouraged them," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told reporters here.
"We do hope that this support will persevere and the freedom of speech and expression will be allowed to flourish in its entirety," he further said.
The I&B Minister said that for a strong democracy, the freedom to right and speak is applicable to everyone and cannot be compromised.
Earlier, activists, filmmakers and others had come out in support of Kashmir`s first all-girls rock band which faced online threats and abuses.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has ordered a police probe and hoped the talented teenagers will not let themselves be silenced by a "handful of morons".
The girls, vocalist-guitarist Noma Nazir (16), drummer Farah Deeba and guitarist Aneeka Khalid (both 15), who defied convention to form the rock band "Pragaash" (darkness to light), have stopped live shows in the wake of the online threats to them.
There has been widespread outrage at the online hate campaign against the girls, all students of Class X.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands