Total political support to all-girl rock band `positive`: Tewari
New Delhi: The Centre today said one positive thing that emerged from the episode of threats to Kashmir`s all-girl rock band was that the entire political spectrum had backed them and hoped freedom of speech and expression will be allowed to flourish in its entirety.
"In this entire episode, one positive thing that has emerged is that in Jammu and Kashmir`s political landscape, all political parties have supported the girls and their band and encouraged them," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told reporters here.
"We do hope that this support will persevere and the freedom of speech and expression will be allowed to flourish in its entirety," he further said.
The I&B Minister said that for a strong democracy, the freedom to right and speak is applicable to everyone and cannot be compromised.
Earlier, activists, filmmakers and others had come out in support of Kashmir`s first all-girls rock band which faced online threats and abuses.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has ordered a police probe and hoped the talented teenagers will not let themselves be silenced by a "handful of morons".
The girls, vocalist-guitarist Noma Nazir (16), drummer Farah Deeba and guitarist Aneeka Khalid (both 15), who defied convention to form the rock band "Pragaash" (darkness to light), have stopped live shows in the wake of the online threats to them.
There has been widespread outrage at the online hate campaign against the girls, all students of Class X.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review