Train passengers stranded for 3 hrs on Amritsar-Delhi route
Phagwara: Scores of rail passengers were on Thursday put to inconvenience as six trains remained stranded at different railway stations on Amritsar-Delhi route for over three hours owing to breaking of an electric wire.
The trains remained stranded between Bhattian and Phillaur railway stations on Jalandhar-Ludhiana rail section of Amritsar-Delhi down line railway track.
Railway sources said that these trains resumed their journey after 10 AM once the broken wire was repaired.
Sachkhand Express, plying between two holy Sikh shrines - Harmandir Sahib, Amritsar (Punjab) and Hazoor Sahib, Nanded (Maharashtra) - remained detained at Phagwara for three hours.
This train, which arrives here at 7.08 AM and leaves a minute after, today left around 10.15 AM, much to the chagrin of passengers.
Other adversely affected trains included Amritsar-Delhi Superfast, Amritsar-Saharsa Janseva Express, Amritsar-Haridwar Jan Shatabdi, Amritsar-Katihar (Amarpali) Express and Amritsar-Mumbai Delux, sources said.
The inordinate delay disturbed schedules of several long-distance passengers, and especially created problems for those who were to get connecting trains or change ones at New Delhi or other stations.
TD Chawla, a septuagenarian social activist, was one such harried passenger was to change train at New Delhi railway station to board a train to Pune where he is to meet his ailing brother.
Many other passengers were found to be in a similar situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire